Minor Updates: December 2014
It's been AGES, but I just wanted to send out a quick update that I have made a few minor updates/improvements to the site. Here's a list of the changes if anyone is interested:
- A long-overdue update to the CMS running the site to get it up-to-date with the latest and greatest
- Minor improvements to the dictionary page:
- A few improvements to the mobile stylesheet—mostly sizing and placement of elements on smaller screens
- Removed the animations when loading/searching for results... it makes the whole thing much snappier, especially on mobile.
- Added a results header (which indicates search parameters) to set off search results from the search functions.
- The search function last used now highlights—so it's easier to see what results you are looking at.
- Added a loading spinner for when the server decides to be slow... at least you know now that it's doing something
So that's it in a nutshell! Nothing exciting, really.
I will add, though, that I've been thinking a lot lately about the fact that this site's back end has really turned into a Frankenstein over the years, and that it's time to completely start over from scratch moving forward (which would be a lot of work getting all the content updated). I've also started thinking about how to implement some better ways to get words and translations up on the site with the least amount of effort on my part, because, in the words of Willy Wonka, "So much time, so little to do... scratch that, reverse it."